Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Arrogant Majority

I believe that I am a devout member of my faith - someone who has deep convictions that are based on faith and experiences. Having said this, I am not touting any level of spirituality on my part. I'm just trying to say that I am one who continues to strive to do those things that my faith requires of me because I believe as I succeed in being obedient I will obtain a higher level of long term happiness. Now, I am a bit unconventional by the standards of other people that would consider themselves devout in my faith. I don't have a set of traditions that I follow that were passed on to me. Any traditions that I pursue have been validated by my belief system - not to be confused with "what others think our belief system is". So here's my thought now that I explained that - what gives any majority the right to be arrogant? Feel free to discuss this point - my answer is "ignorance, insecurity, inferiority complex"; so, basically all of the things that do not exhibit meekness, faith, and hope. In any group that is a majority there is a feeling of superiority expressed by some. Naturally, being a majority, more people agree with you in effect making you "more right" than the others simply by population. This is good if you seek the approval of others and you enjoy the semblance that factually you are right. However, being arrogant automatically precludes anyone from being right. So, why is it then that we worry so much about the arrogant majority? Because if we are not in agreement with them, we are considered "wrong", ignorant, and incapable of gaining the higher light that others have received. I'm sure I'm missing a plethora of other reasons, feel free to enlighten me. Only one more point after this one - if you are a majority, please don't be arrogant about it because it automatically makes you wrong (even if you are right, no one is going to stick around to be convinced). If you are a minority, don't take offense to those that are arrogant (and happen to be the majority) as they are just ignorant and really have a baseless belief system that has caused them to be so arrogant - they don't know any better and their thoughts don't warrant any concern on your part. My final point is this - if you are right, regardless of whether you are a majority or a minority, don't be arrogant about it. Be meek. Be subtle. Share your wisdom humbly, not forcefully. Realize that there are other reasonable ideas to be had and you are fortunate enough to have the truth. I believe that one of the biggest setbacks in my faith is that we are arrogant. In small communities where we are a majority it is unbearable what we do as an arrogant majority. In circles of society where there are predominantly our members in attendance we are arrogant. All of this is against our teachings and yet we are so ignorant that often we continue to offend those that might otherwise give our faith a chance and learn for themselves what is true. One of my favorite scriptures is Jacob chapter 3 verses 1-2. It talks about being "pure in heart". I believe that as we strive to be pure in heart and share our faith (not arrogantly insisting we are right) and not get so concerned that others are convinced that we are right; to learn to work along side non-members as easily as we work along members that we will not be concerned if others agree or disagree with us. We will learn to "agree to disagree" and will learn to enjoy being with those that we disagree with and appreciate our differences. Avoid being arrogant as you strive to base your beliefs on truths and not on the traditions of men that just happen to be of the same faith. Pursue those ideals we know are true and be pure in heart doing the right things for the right reasons.

Andrew “hate’n on the arrogants” Brown

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Well said... I feel the same way.

Arix Antix said...

Okay, so what happened to cause this blog? I am actually interested. Through the Homeschool network here we work with a lot of Christians. That is one item they stress when we do Friday School - We are all believers in Christ but we worship differently - do not condemn or demean. Heck I did the Chaple for a year and they loved the spiritual items I came UP with (used the Bible, but got the ideas from the BofM). POINTING out what we are similar in, helps bring about a spirit of trust and willingness to learn.

WesExpress said...

Andrew, I was just checking in and saw some of your posts. This is an interesting commentary. I agree wholeheartedly (or um pure heartedly). The confusing part is sometimes rituals and belief systems, the cultural or local color of some edge their way into the actual doctrinal teachings unfortunately making it hard for the "rising generation" to distinguish between what is purely preference and pure doctrine. Sometimes, as in the areas saturated with one belief system we forget about this distinction and then continue further by saturating ourselves in the cultural identity and begin to use material or temporal yardsticks now to make decisions because it is a convenient way to live.

good food for thought I have been thinking about this since we have been in Utah.

WesExpress said...

I agree wholeheartedly or um pure heartedly. I have begun to notice this as well since living temporarily in Utah. I think sometimes those who grow up in this culture tend not to see this but "that is just the way it is" and can easily be confused by trading in a template of priesthood Restoration to a template based on cultural identity. Often this cultural identity ends up to be twisted up in the supposed religious fervor and devotion they have masked in whatever it may be. Unfortunately understanding what alot of Mormons do doesn't equate with pure religion because as has been said Mormons as a whole live far below our ability to receive what is entitled due to personal choice. Which kind of goes full circle in how your post started. It is interesting how African American culture and Mexican American culture (as well as others I am sure) seems to be confused in a similarly and hysterically devoted, but yet nothing to do with the actual thing but a twisted form of what the initial identity was.