Friday, September 12, 2008

Conservative listening to Liberal Media

I don't care what your political affiliation is; but I do believe that being informed is a must. To be informed you need to know more than one side of a subject and not think the handful of media you listen to (because you agree with what they say) is the only truth. I'm not trying to say that media is the only way to get your news but it is what most people are exposed to and discuss around the water cooler. So, that said, I'm a conservative and my candidate didn't make it past the primaries so now I'm rooting for John McCain and I’m in awe of his selection of Palin.

I made the mistake of only listening to Fox news and 550 and 960 AM radio for the week after the first Palin speech. I thought we were unstoppable and that everybody was as smitten with the Republican ticket as I was. It wasn't until 2 days ago I changed my radio station to 1480 and went to a bunch of liberal news sites (Time, ABC, CBS etc) and found an alternative approach.

I was educated on how the liberals feel that McCain is running a much more negative campaign then Obama (89 to 11%) by readers. I found that Palin is the only person of interest to the liberals, they have stopped talking about McCain, their focus is on comparing Obama to Palin (why would you compare the top of your ticket to the bottom of the oppositions ticket?). I was also educated on how talk show radio hosts get more cynical and resort to name calling when they are being beaten by the opposition. Lately the liberals have resorted to a lot of name calling, have gotten very cynical, and are obviously stunned at the amazing swing in votes that Governor Palin has generated for the McCain ticket.

McCain was inspired to choose Palin, she represents a lot of what I'm interested in and the ideals I value. I know that there is more to know about her than the little bit that has been brought forward to date. I am trying to not get caught up in how "evil" Obama is as I believe that he's got some amazing talents and does want to serve this country as his ideals guide him - I just believe that the ideals of McCain are better suited to represent me and my country.

The vilifications of candidates is a bit much and the fanatics of either party take things too far many times (Obama is for infanticide (birthed baby killings)? no he's not but you could twist his voting record that way - Palin is a former Mayor of a small town of 9,000 . . . um yeah, but she is now a Governor of the largest geographical state with more natural resources than any other state). I don't appreciate the twists from either side and we need to encourage people not to just vote but to not be distracted by peripheral non issues and realize when a distortion is presented. This reminds me of my favorite comic; Brian Regan does a bit on a political distortion of a politician that has a platform of tazering 7 year olds.

I want undistorted facts and will start challenging those that offer distortions as if they are unbiased truths; I want good folks to be persuaded to be candidates that will represent the people in government; I want a media outlet that will call all of the other media and candidates out when distortions are made (liberal or conservative); I want conservative values to win this election. Go Palin! er, I mean McCain.

Andrew "no distortions please" Brown

1 comment:

Jarret M. Sharp, Ed. D. said...

Go Andrew Brown.

Absolutely 0 distortions there brother!